For fresh vegetables are always in the hot summer day, the housewife should note the following when you store them in the refrigerator light.
Vegetables should be stored at what temperature?
Refrigerators should be maintained 34 ° -40 ° F (equivalent to 1 ° -4 ° C) while preserving vegetables. Because bacteria often thrive when vegetables were stored at temperatures above 40 ° F or damaging foods. If the temperature is too low, the vegetables can be frozen.
Thus, if in case of power outages that refrigerator temperature is below 4 ° C, which foods are safe but if the refrigerator temperature of 4 ° C for over 2 hours, then that food should to leave.
For fresh vegetables are always in the hot summer day, the housewife should note the following when you store them in the refrigerator Nhe
Some vegetables are sensitive to ethylene
Many vegetables and fruits are sensitive to ethylene, a chemical emitted by fruits and some vegetables.
Accordingly, the foods emit ethylene include: apples, pears, bananas, pears, peaches, plums, cantaloupe, watermelon, mushrooms, tomatoes.
These vegetables absorb chemical ethylene include: vegetables, green leafy vegetables, beans, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant, peas, peppers and potatoes.
When these foods ethylene absorbing chemicals, they will have some signs:
- RO and brown on the leaves
- Buds of broccoli, cucumbers turn yellow
- Carrots are bitter to eat
The foul-smelling vegetables while preserving
Some fruits and vegetables can emit odors and affect the taste of other foods as preservatives. To reduce odor, can put a box of baking powder in the refrigerator to absorb odors and humidity slightly. Occasionally remove remove top layer of baking powder periodically to maintain its performance.
Some vegetables emit odors:
- Apples absorb odors due to the smell of cabbage, carrots and onions.
- Le block odor absorption cabbage, celery, carrots, onions and potatoes.
- Onions and onion odors produced by absorbing odors from apples, celery, corn, grapes, green leafy vegetables, mushrooms, pears.
These foods are also flavor vegetables lose moisture quickly and should be stored in bags, sealed container in the refrigerator while.
Tip storage in the refrigerator vegetable
- Do not wash vegetables before putting into the refrigerator and washed just before throwing out or food processing. Because excessive moisture in food will cause the disadvantage and may make them discoloration.
- Trim the tops of some foods such as beets, carrots, penny proud ... prior to the refrigerator.
- Always make sure the food is sensitive to ethylene and food chemical odors emitted by a separate package when wrapped in the refrigerator.
Vegetables should be kept in the refrigerator for how long?
- 2-3 days: asparagus, cabbage
- 3-5 days: broccoli, lima beans, peas, green onion.
- 1 week: beans, cauliflower, cucumbers, leafy greens, leeks, lettuce, peppers, pumpkins
- 1-2 weeks: celery
- 2 weeks: beets, carrots, turnips
The vegetables should not be stored in refrigerator
- Potatoes: best not stored in the refrigerator because even at normal temperature, they can still be fresh for several days.
- Tomatoes: best to store them at room temperature about 16 ° C and they will lose flavor if stored in refrigerator.
- Turnip greens: turnip greens should not be stored in refrigerator and use promptly because the storage in the refrigerator makes them quite powerful odor arises.